TIP #7 : Listener crash in Windows box.

I faced to a problem yesterday.Oracle listener crashed each time a connection was made.OS was WINXP SP2.

Event log showed the following error in SYSTEM log and APPS log.

Faulting application TNSLSNR.EXE, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module orantcp9.dll, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00005732

The following items are proposed by metalink to resolve the issue :The following items are proposed by metalink to resolve the issue :

- Setting use_shared_socket=true in KHEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \software\oracle\home0
- Removing all 3rd party software for Internet download such as download accelarator.
- Changing TNSNAMES.ORA so that explicitly mention about ORACLE_HOME.

None of above solutions worked for me.In addition, I could not find anything in listener trace file or listener log which may lead me to the cause of the problem.

By the way, I checked out that no process was listening on the listener default port.Changing listener port did not change anything.

Finally I found the following magic command which fixed the issue after running and restarting the box.

netsh winsock reset catalog

Simple explanation :

Most of the Internet connectivity problems are because of the corruption in Winsock settings. Windows sockets settings may get corrupted due to the installation of a networking software, Malware infestation. In this situation user can connect to the Internet, but randomly may get Page cannot be displayed .Above command resets the Winsock catalog to the default configuration. This can be useful if a malformed LSP is installed that results in loss of network connectivity.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mate,

You are a super star !!!

'netsh winsock reset catalog' fixed the problem

Anonymous said...

It is really amazing command! It solved the problem I have tried to solve for three days. Thanks a lot!

Anonymous said...

even this didn't solve my problem; I still get the error when I start up the computer :(
I have Oracle 10g, AS and all was working well. I tried to install Oracle BackOffice and I was workin on some other issues and left home. When I came back this morning I have seen this error message starting the computer. Does anyone have any idea?
Thank you,
Ayse

Peeyush@Flex said...

I had a strikingly similar error message for orannzsbb10.dll,although the problem and solution was completely different.Check the link at-
http://drupal.metadesignsolutions.com/node/35

Anonymous said...

my error message is Faulting application sqlplus.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module oracore10.dll, version 10.2.0.5, fault address 0x00000000000de656.

"netsh winsock reset catalog" fixed the problem.thx a lot it is really amazing command