One of my client faced with a strange error after applying security patch and relinking Oracle.
Client could not startup database and got the following error.
SQL> startup nomount;
ORA-27504: IPC error creating OSD context
ORA-27300: OS system dependent operation:sendmsg failed with status: 59
ORA-27301: OS failure message: Message too long
ORA-27302: failure occurred at: sskgxpsnd1
Oracle was not able to allocate memory, Alert log had nothing regarding to this issue.
After some research in metalink, I found metalink note (Note : 300956.1) which recommends to bump up the following parameters.
# no -o tcp_sendspace=262144
# no -o tcp_recvspace=262144
# no -o udp_sendspace=65536
# no -o udp_recvspace=262144
no -o rfc1323=1
Increasing those values did not fix the issue however, more details were shown.
This time after startup,the following message was shown.
SQL> startup nomount;
ORA-29702: error occurred in Cluster Group Service operation
Also alert log had more info :
Cluster communication is configured to use the following interface(s) for this instance
Fri Dec 7 10:35:10 2007
cluster interconnect IPC version:Oracle UDP/IP (generic)
IPC Vendor 1 proto 2
PMON started with pid=2, OS id=630922
DIAG started with pid=3, OS id=651416
PSP0 started with pid=4, OS id=360672
LMON started with pid=5, OS id=647294
LMD0 started with pid=6, OS id=163956
MMAN started with pid=7, OS id=581878
DBW0 started with pid=8, OS id=614592
LGWR started with pid=9, OS id=626764
CKPT started with pid=10, OS id=643140
SMON started with pid=11, OS id=499806
RECO started with pid=12, OS id=659522
CJQ0 started with pid=13, OS id=663620
MMON started with pid=14, OS id=569480
MMNL started with pid=15, OS id=671816
Fri Dec 7 10:35:12 2007
USER: terminating instance due to error 29702
Instance terminated by USER, pid = 618564
It seems that for some reasons after relinking Oracle, Oracle considered binary installation as RAC install.
As the result, I turned off RAC option with running the following command :
$ cd $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib
$ make -f ins_rdbms.mk rac_off
$ make -f ins_rdbms.mk ioracle
This resolved the issue and I was able to startup database without any problem.